Pontem College provides a safe learning environment that helps non-Dutch speakers aged 12 to 18 to grow into confident, respectful citizens who are equipped with the skills to take part in Dutch society. Our name is derived from the Latin word ‘pontem,’ which means ‘bridge’. It embodies our mission to provide a bridge to mainstream education and Dutch society. This bridge is founded on the pillars of knowledge, attitude and skills.
- Knowledge: We teach our pupils Dutch and other relevant subjects as quickly as possible, so that they can join an academic year or level in secondary education (VO) or senior secondary vocational education (MBO) that ties in with their learning abilities, previous qualifications and age.
- Attitude: We teach our pupils how to adopt an attitude that ensures that they feel safe, confident and respected in Dutch education and Dutch society.
- Skills: We teach our pupils the skills they need to feel safe, confident and respected in Dutch education and Dutch society.
You can register your child or a pupil every day from 8:30 AM to 4:30 PM by calling or e-mailing E. Bugday.
Tel. : +31 (0)24-333 30 92
You must supply the following documents when registering:
- An extract of the pupil's personal data as stored in the Municipal Personal Records (Basisregistratie Personen, BRP), stating the date on which the pupil settled in the Netherlands. Please note that you will have to specifically request this extract from the municipality.
- A copy of the parent's and pupil's valid proof of identity.
- A school report from the previous school, if available.
Preliminary interview and admission
Pontem College (International Preparatory Secondary Education Nijmegen), inspection term: Initial reception for non-Dutch speakers (‘Eerste Opvang Anderstaligen,’ EOA) is intended for non-Dutch speakers aged between 12 and 18, of any nationality, who are subject to full-time compulsory schooling but whose level of Dutch does not allow them to take part in mainstream education. During the preliminary interview, we will produce a temporary leaver's profile that predicts as accurately as possible the direction of education that is most suited to the pupil after leaving Pontem College, as well as the time the pupil needs to spend at Pontem College before they are ready to join mainstream education. The pupil will then be assigned to a small mentor group of on average 15 to 20 pupils.
Pontem College has two locations:
Akkerlaan location. This is where younger and some older pupils attend classes in preparation for secondary education (VO) and adult general secondary education (VAVO).
Streekweg location. This is where pupils aged 16 and above when leaving Pontem College attend classes in preparation for senior secondary vocational education (MBO).
If a child or pupil is sick, please contact the school by telephone between 8:00 and 8:30 AM.
If a child aged 18 or below is sick, only the parents or guardians may report the child as sick. Pupils aged 18 or older may report sick themselves.
Akkerlaan: +31 (0)24 - 355 10 33
Streekweg: +31 (0)24 - 333 30 92
Pontem College will charge no fees for the academic year 2018-2019.